Monday, June 2, 2008

Workin' Hard in the Heat

My husband and I always have these great ideas of making improvements to our home and property, however the ideas which seem so simple always turn into something more complex. We bought an 80's home the country a little over 3 years ago. Since then we have made upgrades including tile surround in our master bathroom tub/shower and a new master vanity and granite countertop. Those seem simple enough. Yeah Right! Not in our household. One problem turns into another. And our luck continues as we began installing a french drain and sidewalk on the exterior of the home this weekend. The drain is to help rainwater flow away from the house rather than pool up around it and the sidewalk will connect our carport to our back porch. Again, problems arise creating stumbling blocks. While digging the trench for the drain, we found a concrete retaining wall previously used for a flowerbed that was HUGE! And yes, I am using a shovel digging this concrete out of the ground. It didn't matter that it was there...it mattered that it was in the way, so it had to be removed. As the weekend progressed in the 90 degree temperature we ran into more stumblings blocks. Needless to say, in summary, what should have been a 2 day weekend project is only about halfway finished. YIKES!!! I keep telling my husband that maybe when we start thinking about more projects, we should remind ourselves how the previous ones turned out!

2 comments:

MommaJen said...

wow - I'm impressed with all your projects!

Jenn said...

I too am amazed. Like you told me earlier...ladies don't need to work this hard. Next time, post some pictures. Wouldn't your husband love that. "Honey, stop for a sec and let me take your picture to post on my blog." I can just imagine the response you would get. Heh!