Wednesday, October 22, 2008

One Year Ago Today!

Today is the 1 year anniversary of my husband's car accident. These pics are of my car, which he was driving to work that early morning about 5:30am. Most of my readers know we live in the country and travel roads where landowner's own cattle. You can see where this story is going. At that hour of the morning it was dark and a Black Angus cow was standing broadside in the middle of his lane. He never saw her until he hit her and she proceeded to come up onto the car. The impact of hitting her spun the car around 180 degrees and across the oncoming lane. Fortunately, that early in the morning there wasn't another car coming at him in that lane. Now facing the opposite direction from which he was driving the car is sliding sideways...through a ditch...into a fence...through the fence...and into a tree. When the car hit the fence, the momentum send it airborne and the car was on its side when it hit the tree. I think that tree helped save my husbands life! If the tree wouldn't have stopped the car, it would have kept flying through the air and there is no telling how it would have ended up.

Most of you know the rest of the story so for those readers who don't, here is the quick recap. He suffered a bi-lateral break in his neck (which the ER had to explain to us while we are shivering and scared out of our wits - we spent alot of time scared and crying). He spent 10 weeks in a neck brace and 4 of those in physical therapy. He couldn't drive for the first 6 weeks and had numerous doctor visits during this time. He also had a concusion, which became obvious as the day drug on. His memory from the time he left the house was wiped away...and he still only really knows what actually happened from pictures and stories. He also had cuts and bruises on his face from broken glass and a large 3 " gash on his right hand (not really sure what it was from) that had to have stitches twice. The ER did not sew him up correctly, so 2 weeks later when they removed the stitches the gash reopened.

Times like this are when you are thankful for God and His power. We truly believe my husband was not riding alone in my car that morning! It was a wake up call and it could have been alot worse. So, here is to our 1 year anniversary parting with my little blue car and my husband having fully recovered; well from that accident at least :)! Now he has a sprained ankle - the excitement never ends. Have a great day everyone!


MommaJen said...

wow! what a difference a year makes...glad the recovery has gone so well. hope the sprained ankle heals soon!

Jenn Greeley said...

Oh I remember that day. Yes, it was a miracle he survived. I can't believe its already been a year. Now, how did he sprain his ankle?